[Magdalen] Santa Claus won't come

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 18:51:07 UTC 2016

This morning I actually heard a young man tell a balky child (maybe six, or
a tall five) that if she didn't come into church Santa won't come. And I
thought how short the step between "there is no Santa" and "there is no
God." Makes me glad I don't have to navigate childhood again.

They actually sat in front of me, grandmother who attends regularly, son
who's a stranger, and little girl. I suspect she's never been in church
before because the congregational singing startled her (I've actually heard
children scream in terror at the sheer volume of Christmas Eve singing).
Young father knew the Lord's Prayer, little girl did not. She got visibly
interested when the Sunday School came in for the prayer of consecration
and communion. And she loved the colored reflections traveling over the
north wall.

She will be in my prayers tonight.
-M