[Magdalen] Christmas Eve..

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:57:33 UTC 2016

You got good advice, but I don't read that you took it.

Talk to the priest and tell him you are concerned about being unfamiliar
with some music, and ask him to help you out by giving you a heads-up on
which hymns he will choose. Also, this would be a good time to say that,
while you intend to play absolutely anything they ask of you to the best of
your ability, at this moment, you have not had a lot of time to prepare,
and tell him some specific standards that you already know.

He will not be surprised if there are some pieces you don't know. Asking
him to narrow down what you practice right now will assure a smooth sailing
service, so I would expect he would be happy to help to the extent he can
(he may not have chosen the music yet.).

Well, at least your church has an organist. It looks like one of the choir
is playing for us on Xmas Eve.  She's a very sensible, intelligent woman,
so I'm sure everything will be just fine.

We had a parting of ways with our former musician, and our interim was
injured, and cannot play. Everyone who is one of our candidates is playing
at another nearby church, so no matter whom we choose, someone will hate us.

We just might go back to the early Episcopal traditions in the Hudson
Valley, which was no organ at all.

Just say no to Sacred Harp and Southern Harmony. Well get through it
somehow.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford