[Magdalen] Canadian Club.

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Fri Dec 9 22:32:54 UTC 2016

I refuse to be associated in any respect with Pat Robertson.

Google "Canadian accent" and you'll get several interesting articles.  I enjoyed the BBC's  take.  We make "ou" into a weird diphthong: "ow" with a bit of "u" tacked on.  Generally vowels seem to be shorter and deeper.

Why?  Most of English Canada's core ancestry (Nova Scotia excepted) came from the American colonies at the time of the American revolution and tended to settle in clumps away from pre-Loyalist English <disloyal!> and Roman Catholic French <Papists! shudder!>.  This population was reinforced by English and Scottish immigration in the 19th century.  Canadian English preserves some old colonial elements reinforced by Scots.  And of course Canadians conserve their distinction from American speech just because we're Canadians.

Molly
Canuck by adoption and conviction

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain