[Magdalen] Quiet Pub

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 13:10:57 UTC 2016

The pace of life picks up at this time of year.  Lots of time spent at
my church (and that is ALL good news with much inner work being done).
Apart from the weekly Eucharist we share with our sister church of St.
John's this morning, later we will have a Eucharist honouring St. Lucia
(and I believe there will be a little Lucia) and a potluck.  Mondays,
Tuesdays, and Thursdays we have matins in the rectory.  Mondays we also
have Lectio Divina. Tomorrow there is also centring prayer and choir
practice (my turn to do the Advent Prose on Sunday).  My mother would
call it, as she once did in my teens, 'religious dissipation', but I
call it a blessing!

On Saturday last the Marion Singers sang at St. Mary Magdalen. What
acoustics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Like St. Paul's Cathedral with its
8-second  reverb.  We started with Lauritsen's O Magnum Mysterium to set
the mood.  Beyond words!  As was Willan's The Three Kings in that
space.  Our new director is a blessing.

Last evening was Food Bank night at St. Peter's, Oshawa.  What a world
we live in.  The last woman through with a bunch of kids as well as her
own problems and issues, benefited from being last in that I could add a
bit more from the meagre supply of frozen (the local agency had been
able to give us nothing this week!).  There was one only frozen
half-pound of Maple Leaf bacon and I gave it to her.  Her eyes filled
with tears -- bacon!!!! A treat way beyond measure.  She held it to her
and said she would save it for them on Christmas.  Aw geez.

And so it goes.  Don't know what I'm doing for Christmas, although I do
know I have no wish to drive any distance to the various options.

Keep safe, dear friends.

Marion, a pilgrim   ... today my sail I lift ....