[Magdalen] Rapapumpum

sally.davies at gmail.com sally.davies at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 07:20:01 UTC 2016

Hi Jim

Glad you liked it!

The Ladysmith Black Mambazo are famiiiar figures with an internationally
known sound, derived from African choral traditions, township "Marabi"
music and their moves owe something to the traditional "gumboot dancing"
that originated on the mines. Their sound went global when Paul Simon
collaborated with them. This group looks young and I wonder how many of the
original group are still there...

It's been a tough year in SA due to political shenanigans, a weak currency
and a crippling drought but in general I think the backdrops were just
there to celebrate the beauty of the country with scenes from popular
holiday destinations - the beaches of KwaZulu-Natal, Cape Town, Mpumalanga
(the waterfall), a game reserve, the Karoo and for good measure the
Johannesburg skyline.

I think there is a bit of a road-safety message - our roads become really
dangerous at this time of year and it's mainly due to negligent and
aggressive driving, so the "chill out" message can save lives.

I also wondered if there was a subtle reference to the USA with the red,
white and blue balloons going up - but there again, those are the colours
of PickNPay, the supermarket chain that sponsored the video and the
associated feeding scheme.

In any case, I doubt that we are the only country glad to see the back of
2016 and hoping to "start again" more than usual at New Year.

For me it's bittersweet as it's Donal's last year in school...

Sally D