[Magdalen] Happy Christmas

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Mon Dec 26 19:26:59 UTC 2016

Technically, a bog is acidic, while fens are basic. Both are spring-fed -
like a filled-in kettle pond. Bogs, being acidic, are harder places for
plants to survive, so you get mosses, black spruce, pitcher plants, etc.
Lots of peat underneath. Fens tend to be a bit richer in plant & animal
life. Eastern North America being what it is, we mostly have bogs. There are
a few fens, however, one being right near us: http://tinyurl.com/glogvqy.

Pictures of a bog:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cwohlers/albums/72157631255245918
And of a fen: