[Magdalen] Voter ID

ROGER STOKES roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 27 16:08:08 UTC 2016

I know that in the USA the move by some states to require in-person voters to show ID before being allowed to cast their ballot has caused controversyor it is to prevent voter fraud, which is negligible for in-person voting. Any fraud that occurs is more general with absentee voting. Now it appears that the UK government is to trial it as well in certain areas.

The full list of pilot areas has not been released but the ones I have seen listed are ones which are significantly multi-ethnic. Given that it is absentee voting where any significant problem lies I agree that this proposal is a sledge-hammer to crack a (probably non-existent) nut.

Roger