[Magdalen] Voter ID

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 20:20:57 UTC 2016

The Chicago Board of Elections sometimes seems obsessed with sending
us our voter registration cards several times a year. It's
particularly helpful in listing all the numbers for our various
jurisdictions: ward and precinct, county commissioner district, state
representative district, state senate district, zoning board district,
and a few more (Congressional district). When I was wrongly asked for
my ID, I think the inexperienced poll worker thought it would be a
good way to match information against the poll book. I was going to
produce my voter ID card instead of my driver license. But neither is
needed. The voter ID mainly tells us the address of our polling place
and what precinct we vote in (often there are several precincts voting
in one location, with a separate set of poll workers handling each).

I'm one of those Democrats (it's all of us, I guess) who want it to be
as easy as possible for all eligible voters to vote while having
reliable controls in place to prevent and detect fraudulent voting. So
no hindrances like ID. It's easy for you and me to get an ID, but too
easy for a local government or official to make it difficult for some,
and/or make voting difficult using such a requirement, or some test of
literacy, or short polling hours, difficult-to-access polling
location, etc., etc.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA