[Magdalen] Voter ID

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 00:45:34 UTC 2016

Michael, your feeling is certainly understandable.

The people pushing voter ID are not concerned about the justice of showing
you are whom you say you are, and there is indeed not evidence to show that
there is significant voter fraud.
The reason the GOP pushes it is that they know that if the voter actually
voted in accord with their convictions, the GOP would be much less
influential. But for voter suppression tactics (think Florida, Gore vs.
Bush) and the massive gerrymandering they've done over the years, we would
almost certainly have a democratic majority of long standing.
In my area, my county of Dutchess, New York State, had a commission set up
to monitor voter district revision to assure fairness. The GOP-controlled
legislature abolished that commission. They are doing every trick they
know, and it's working very well for them.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford