[Magdalen] Dog blessing query

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 17:25:07 UTC 2016

Yesterday I had a call from a young woman who works at one of the churches where I was an interim. She has to put her dog down because of multiple stomach tumors and wanted me to come and provide a blessing. The vet will come to her home to euthanize the dog. We've agreed that I will come on Tuesday evening for the actual procedure.
I have no theological problem with this--after all, we bless pets on St. Francis Day. And when I was in seminary we held a formal interment service for our beloved Chip the Monk, who had lived a long life in the woodpile by one of the dorms. (One seminary professor did refuse to lead the ceremony...)
But I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this and has any suggestions as to reading materials. I'm thinking of part of the Canticle reflecting St. Francis love for creation and maybe one of Mary Oliver's poems about her dog Percy, especially after his death.  And I can certainly offer prayer.
This is a unique request--at least for me--and I thought I'd pick the brain(s) of this list.