[Magdalen] St Paul's-on-the-Hill, St Paul, MN

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Feb 1 04:48:21 UTC 2016

In a message dated 1/31/2016 10:26:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/3937008-historic-st-paul-church-sale-i
ncluding-occupied-crypt>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My parish for the four years of internship and residency at
UM-Minneapolis.  I was married there, as was my daughter.

There are no less than 5 Episcopal churches on Saint  Paul's
elegant Summit Avenue, and it was inevitable that one or  more
of them would close.  It's just sad it was my parish  church.

I can't help but feel the parish was a victim for being on  the
cutting edge of liturgical renewal.  They forgot their  historic
roots as a place where Solemn High Mass on Sunday was  the
norm.

They ended up like all the rest of the parishes along Summit  Avenue,
and people no longer would drive 50 miles to savour in the  uniqueness.

In the picture, they've fiddled around with the high altar to the  point
that it is unrecognizable.  There are about three exquisite  stained glass
windows.  The 28 rank pipe organ by a local builder sounds  terrific
in the church because of its very fine acounstics.

It's where I cut my plainchant teeth, and I hope for the best for  what is
left of the building.  I knew they closed the church on Easter  Sunday.

David Strang.