[Magdalen] Fwd: Re: St Paul's-on-the-Hill, St Paul, MN

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Feb 1 20:32:53 UTC 2016

In a message dated 2/1/2016 1:44:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

Yet  another church that became a private club for aging members
worshipping in  a museum.>>>>>>

You may notice that my note about my first hand experience with
this parish implies otherwise.

IMO, the parish failed because it abandoned its "museum" Liturgy
(the usual Anglocatholic flagship style) and this destroyed its  unique
qualities.

A large percentage of members drove long distances to
experience this enriched liturgical style.  When the clergy of
Saint Paul's-on-the-Hill pulled the altar out, and jettisoned Solemn
High Masses, these people no longer were willing to drive the  distance
and membership tanked.  Why drive 50 miles for the same liturgy  as
their local Saint Swithins-in-the-Swamp right across the street?

David Strang.