[Magdalen] Imbolc

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 01:20:50 UTC 2016

In a message dated 2/1/2016 7:26:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

I had  some confused snowdrops trying to bloom before the snow here. I hoped
they  thought better of it, but with a couple of 50-degree days, I'm not so
sure.  Daffodil spikes showing, too.>>>>>>

When we lived in Germany (Frankfurt/M) the priest gave a sermon
which included references to daffodils "soon to bloom."  This  was
mid-February, and my ex-wife and I, both natives of Minnesota and
Wisconsin looked at each other in bewilderment.  As far as we  were
concerned it was the preacher who was daft.

Daffodils routinely bloom in May in the Upper Midwest, but in the
much milder Frankfurt/M climate, he was right.  They were  blooming
by Washington's Birthday 22 February.

I don't think people who have not lived in the extreme continental  climates
have any idea how totally frozen everything is from Halloween until
mid-April.  Every flake of snow during the entire season is there to  melt
quickly, spring flowers finish in a flash, and after a few uncertain days
it
is hot and humid summer.

There really is no spring there in contrast to Pennsylvania USA where
spring
is a lengthy, lovely affair.

David Strang.