[Magdalen] St. Thomas Fifth Avenue Chooses.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 21:56:09 UTC 2016

In a message dated 2/10/2016 2:35:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nyswrrcoalco at pipeline.com writes:

Just  because modernists substitute boys for castrati  doesn't mean it's
appropriate in modern worship conducted in a language understood by the
people.>>>>>>>>

It's a little dizzying, Jim, that sometimes you sound like a Presbyterian
and
at others a contemporary Roman Catholic.

In the latter instance, the official policy of the RCC is to favor  the
"purity"
of unaccompanied polyphony and the plainsong Proper, both  in Latin.
After decades of contemporary schlock in English, it strikes me that
they are once again returning to the Latin.  Certainly if the  most
influential church music program in the USA (National Shrine,  Washington,
DC) for Roman Catholics is any indication, that is the case.  There  are,
incidentally, Latin Ordinaries used at most televised Masses from  that
location.  So much for language understood by the people.

I would be interested in knowing the evidence that Latin  polyphony
died away entirely in the Anglican Communion before it's obvious
revival in the past 75 years or so.

I feel it is perfectly appropriate for Anglicans to utilize
choral music in a foreign tongue which means not just Latin, but
also such as French, German and Spanish.  That is, provided  there
are translations available in the worship leaflets.

David Strang.......Just wondering how the people (and me) are to
understand the Holy Mysteries, anyway.  Is it easier to  understand
the Canon in English than in Latin?