[Magdalen] R.I.P. Justice Scalia

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 13 22:43:43 UTC 2016

On 13/02/2016 22:23, Jay Weigel wrote:
> And you know dang well the opposition majority will never confirm one of
> his appointees. They won't even look at his budget, for catsake!

I wish Justice Scalia peace as he meets the Sipreme Judge of all and has
to give account of his decisions.  Looking forward I read that there are
more Republican-held seats than Democratic-held seats that could flip
this November 16 - 2 according to electoral-vote.com. It is generally
recognized, even by Republicans that the current Primary season is not
doing their Party any favours and they may well have a nominee for
President that is unelectable.  That would have implications
down-ticket, including for Senate as these seats were last contested in
a non-Presidential election year.  That will tilt the field further
against Republican candidates.

Bearing that in mind would Senator McConnell want to block a SCOTUS
nominee this side of the election and risk further criticism of failure
to take their responsibilities seriously?  Will the electorate approve
of systematic blocking of the machinery of government?  Blocking the
nomination of a reasonably well-qualified candidate would seem to be a
high-risk approach.

Roger