[Magdalen] RIP Uncle Bob

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 22:56:36 UTC 2016

In a message dated 2/13/2016 5:07:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

depending on who was in power at the
time in the Danzig/Gdansk  area (Kaszubia).>>>>>

I'm sure you have seen the German film, "The Little Drummer Boy"
filmed mostly in Danzig.  If you haven't, do so with all due  haste.

I keep running into people who have Polish names but lived in the
former eastern sections of Germany handed over to Poland at the
end of WW-2 secondary to Stalin's intransigence.

The latest, last week, was an immigrant from  Szczecin, Poland that was
"Berlin's Port" down the Oder River and with the German name  Stettin.

The latest issue of "Opera News" (Metropolitan Opera, NYC)  has
obituaries of musical opera luminaries for this past year, including  that
of conductor, Kurt Mazur.  I didn't fully realize that his youth  and early
years of training were in what was then the eastern portion of  Germany,
and became Poland via Stalin's landgrab.  Most of his adult  career was
in what was East Germany, though he had a big USA positive impact on  the
NY Philharmonic.

David Strang.

David Strang.