[Magdalen] R.I.P. Justice Scalia

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 13 23:28:24 UTC 2016

On 13/02/2016 22:57, Scott Knitter wrote:
> That's why I said I realize it may not happen.
>
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Scott, there is no way the Republicans will ever confirm an Obama appointee.

I can see three crucial dates in this scenario.  The first is 8 November
2016, election day. That (subject to the possibility of absentee ballots
being crucial in some states) should determine the make-up of the Senate
and who will be President for 2017-21.  The next is 3 January 2017 when
the new Congress officially takes office.  The final one is 20 January
2017 when the new President is inaugurated.

Although President Obama is term-limited he continues to hold all the
powers of President until noon on 20 January 2017 so is free to nominate
to federal positions, including the Supreme Court.  My understanding is
that those nominations have to be confirmed by the Senate before they
become effective.  Until 3 January that will be the current Senate with
its Republican majority.  If, as might well happen, they lose that
majority in the November elections would they want to block a nomination
in the final weeks of that majority knowing that come January the new
Senate could take a different view?

Interesting possibilities await.

Roger