[Magdalen] R.I.P. Justice Scalia

Eleanor Braun eleanor.braun at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 00:12:02 UTC 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Mahoney, W. Michael <wmmah at stoneledge.net>
wrote:

> One can make a fair argument that a lame-duck president as near to the end
> of his term as Obama is, ought not make a life time appointment.
>
> Except, perhaps, in the highly unlikely case that he could find a consensus
> candidate.
>
>  Nah...I can't think of a good argument that a sitting President, who will
be in office almost another 12 months, should not do his job.

On the second point, I just heard Rachel Maddow suggest that a possible
nominee would be someone who has recently been confirmed by the Senate,
i.e., has been through vetting, and that the Republicans were able to vote
to confirm.  One name she suggested is the current Secretary of Homeland
Security, Jeh Johnson, but she said there are others.

Eleanor