[Magdalen] Last Sunday as Senior Warden

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 19:10:57 UTC 2016

Today was my last Sunday as organizing Senior Warden of The Episcopal
Church of the Good Shepherd, Summerville, SC.  What a day it was!

Forty months ago, on October 21, 2012, a letter from Bishop Mark Lawrence
was read in Episcopal churches across the Diocese of SC stating
(erroneously) that we were no longer associated with The Episcopal Church.
After years of intentional fracture, schism had finally come to the
Episcopal Diocese of SC.  You all know what a grief that was to John and me
and other faithful Episcopalians in SC.

That very afternoon, seven Summerville Episcopalians gathered on friends’
back porch and committed ourselves to reorganizing an Episcopal
congregation from the local remnant.  And, we have done just that…not just
me, not any one person, but the Body of Christ in this place, in this
time.  My grief was morphed by my passion to reorganize an Episcopal
congregation.  I was named senior warden.  All of us, the original seven,
plus those who have joined us in those months to reform, rebuild,
reestablish an Episcopal Church, now known as The Episcopal Church of the
Good Shepherd, Summerville.   Good Shepherd is a mission church of The
Episcopal Church in SC.

Lots of gift-giving today.  During worship, John and I presented a new
banner that we had commissioned, a banner that speaks visually where Good
Shepherd is today.  Then, I was stunned more than I have ever been in my
entire life.  The congregation presented the church a hand crafted
baptismal font in my honor.  Dave Comer, an architect and gifted furniture
maker from our parish, made the mahogany stand and a glass artisan crafted
the glass bowl.  The bowl has an amazing design…one can see the holy spirit
moving in it.  I am blown away and unworthy and thankful beyond words and
want to share that with you.  Photos will be posted on our webpage as soon
as possible.

Rejoice with me that God has brought The Episcopal Church of the Good
Shepherd to this day and has shed a light on the way into our future.  We
have wonderful new leadership coming on board.  The priest in charge has
asked me to serve going forward as lay ministry coordinator.

Thanks be to God!

Ginga