[Magdalen] R.I.P. Justice Scalia

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Feb 15 17:59:24 UTC 2016

On 2/15/16 9:01 AM, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> Well, just to show how out of it I really am, I first heard Lovecraft's
> name recently and thought he was one of the authors of the vampire and
> zombie series that seem so popular right now! It founded like that kind of
> name.Since I have no interest in those or the popular novels about
> dystopian worlds, I paid no further attention.  I'm basically trying to
> catch up on all the classic books I should have read, but haven't. Just
> finished *The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter*, which is our local Big Read book
> for this year. Next is W.E.B. DuBoise's *The Souls of Black Folk, *and then
> ..........lots more! I WILL read *Moby Dick* before I die!!

Yeah, "LoveCraft" is precisely the pen name that a Romance writer would
pick!  ;^)  And most of those in the current fad _are_ basically
Romance, with very attractive sexy vampires or werewolves and lots of
titillating description of "sculpted" "six-pack" muscles (the
photographic male models for the covers must spend lots and lots of time
on those specific-muscle machines in the gym! But I suppose photoshop
helps.)  I don't suppose you can blame the kids who read and write these
things: they're somewhat interested in fantasy, supernatural, or
"paranormal", as the buzzword goes, but their hormones keep their
interest also on hot sex.

But H.P.L. did his writing in the early years of the 20th century, in
the middle years of which I was a kid, and he was already "classic"
horror Fantasy.  It's been so long ago that his made-up words and names
and places are part of the getting-elderly SF fan generation's
vocabulary.  I don't remember that he had or displayed much interest in
sex (except for the breeding process of the birth of horrible repulsive
monsters).

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net