[Magdalen] Fwd: [Mgdln] African Peanut Soup recipe

Eleanor Braun eleanor.braun at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 23:42:26 UTC 2016

For Marion:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Susan Hagen <susanvhagen at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM
Subject: [Mgdln] African Peanut Soup recipe
To: magdalen at herberthouse.org

 This is apparently a favorite dish all over Africa with many variations.
There are vegetarian versions too.  I think it's the kind of dish where the
One True Authentic recipe is however your mom used to make it.

This is what I made yesterday:

Saute
1 diced onion
2 - 3 cloves garlic
chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
about 2 tsp curry powder
about 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
salt and black pepper to taste

Add
1 can chicken broth
1 can tomatoes
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 - 2 carrots, diced

When vegetables are nearly tender add
1 diced chicken breast and simmer till cooked
You may need to add some water.  I think I added 2 cups to the pot.

Add about 1/4 of a medium sized head of cabbage, chopped (maybe 2 - 3
cups).  I've seen recipes call for collards or other greens instead.  Simmer
until barely tender.

Put about 1/2 cup peanut butter, smooth or chunky, in a bowl.  Ladle in
about a cup of the hot broth.  Stir until the PB melts and then stir into
the pot.
Some recipes call for 1/2 cup to 1 can of coconut milk.  I leave it out.
Depending on your taste you might add a little sugar.  This time the large
sweet potato made it plenty sweet for me.

Here are a bunch of variations.  The first is Elizabeth Kaeton's and it's
wonderful too.

http://telling-secrets.blogspot.com/2007/09/puple-tulip-soup.html
http://www.soupsong.com/rpeanut1.html ( look around this site - I use
several of their recipes)