[Magdalen] A neat thought from Plato

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Feb 19 06:30:53 UTC 2016

On 2/18/16 11:21 AM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> Daily Quote
>
> *O ye Gods, grant us what is good whether we pray for it or not, but keep
> evil from us even though we pray for it.*
> *Plato*

WOW! I don't remember ever hearing that one before!  And it's perfect,
at least in English,  almost better than "Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil".  And there are so many things that we want so
much we can't imagine that they could be evil, so we pray for them --
and they turn out to be a thing we really _don't_ want, in retrospect.
"Thy Will, not mine, be done" kind of helps with that, but it's not a
reminder to think about what we want.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net