[Magdalen] Was: Prayers ANSWERED: Now, Chant.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 18:37:30 UTC 2016

In a message dated 2/19/2016 12:03:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

I realize that some A-C parishes adopted what they saw as  traditional
Roman practice in the 50s or 60s, which was even limited in RC  parishes
<g>.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Plainchant belongs to Anglicans because it was the sacred music  of
the Western Church and long predates the Reformation\, Continental
and British.

Anglican chant is much newer and is largely an Anglican invention
derived from plainchant.  That doesn't make Anglican chant more  Anglican
than plainchant.  Anglicans do not need to feel they are deserting  their
heritage when there is plainsong instead of Anglican chant.

On the subject of Anglican chant, I have a recording made when Fr.  Andrew
was Rector with the Saint Thomas Choir chanting the Israel out of  Egypt
text from Exodus in Anglican chant, using the Tonus Peregrinus  plainchant
as the melody line.  It makes the close relationship of Anglican  chant
and plainsong obvious.

David Strang.