[Magdalen] Vintner Dies.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Feb 23 19:09:19 UTC 2016

 >He is the great pioneer who is mostly responsible for turning
California's Napa Valley into a world class vineyard region. His wines
 >were under the label of "Krug" and "Mondavi"

I believe Mondavi was sold to Gallo a few years back.

There were vieyards there and commercial winemaking in the late 19th and
first few years of the 20th Century, most of them were abandoned with
the onset of prohibition.

Prohibition did spark the growth of one of the largest wineries --
Giuseppe Gallo (father of Ernesto and Julio) made his fortune selling
"Communion Wine" of many varieties to Roman Catholic Parishes across
America during Prohibition. In many parts of the country, any good (and
reasonably moneyed) Roman Catholic could pretty much buy all the Gallo
wine they wanted from their local parish..

Mondavi was something of a latecomer -- starting after Repeal.

Cheers,
Jim