[Magdalen] Lent Madness?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 19:12:50 UTC 2016

Just recently, we had Søren versus Sojourner.  Now *that* produced a lot of
very thoughtful and thought-provoking comments.
I was a bit more than casually involved since Isabella, AKA Sojourner,
hails from this area, and the library at the State University of New Paltz
is named after her.  I can't help wondering if that would not get a chortle
from the old abolitionist and suffragist. I was thinking, having a *library*
at a college named after you sure beats having a high school named after
you, but on inquiry, I find Sojourner has two high schools named after her
in NY State alone, and several study programs named after her in various
other places.

This was one matchup I could not really pick, because they both have great
reasons to vote for them.

And picking between two of god's superheroes is indeed the point, not a
drawback. The choice is the thing; after all, each saint has their reward
already, and one has to be a standout, merely to be CONSIDERED for the LM
in the first place. And, oh my, do we ever forget that all the time. Heck,
I was so stuck on the incredible Birgid (the only saint who is older than
the faith itself) I misremembered that she was the winner last year. She
was finally bested by that Assisi guy (if one has to be knocked off, who
better than the best loved of all saints).

Hard to imagine how one can get sick of the LM, but as Sebastian used to
say, "Chaconne a son gout."

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford