[Magdalen] Trump and his deadly pride

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 06:17:02 UTC 2016

Take it from me,  citizen and resident of a country that's officially much
more of a mess, the country is more than and greater than its leaders.
That's true of South Africa and certainly of the USA as well.

Sometimes having to deal with a REALLY despicable leader is a good thing.
I'm not wishing it on anyone, but by the end of the first six months of a
Trump presidency, the ridiculous infighting in the two ruling houses will
give way to a "will to govern", and the average American will probably know
more about his or her Constitution and its protections than ever before.

As to international relations, as Trevor Noah has pointed out more than
once, Trump fits perfectly in the company of elderly African dictators and
would-be dictators. He also, by his own statements, expects to get on
famously with Vladimir so he won't be without international friends.

The Presidency would be weaker and far less respected but the country will
survive and grow; and Washington will be forced to change its ways which
probably needs to happen. In fact, whoever wins, that needs to happen
doesn't it?

And whereas (from afar) it looks as though millions of people pay lip
service to prayer in a reflex "God Bless America" way that is mainly
sentimental, a Trump victory or even the prospect of one will drive
belivers everywhere to heaven-storming prayer and repentance, which in
itself is a powerful force for change.

Take it from me - been there, done that, doing it again.

Sally D