[Magdalen] Happy New Year

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 14:14:32 UTC 2016

Thank you, Jim. What a difficult day for you....

Your words remind me: what a great privilege it is to be able to measure
our time in years, and how many, many times I've just taken for
granted that next year I will still be here, and those I love will still be
here, and all will be well. That assumption makes me more comfortable, but
does it make it easier to live well, truly well? I doubt it...

This cursed illness of Marcy's, assisted by your own more limited but not
insignificant illness, has given you no choice but to measure time
differently...a year's measure is too large. Maybe it's too large for all
of us..."Sufficient unto the day, is the evil thereof"...

It is a different but no lesser privilege for us, your friends, to mark the
hours, days, weeks and months alongside you. As you do whatever you must to
hold it together, we are with you in thought and in prayer and in our own
images of sorrow.

Sally