[Magdalen] Brightest and Best - The Epiphany, January 6, 2016.

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 03:56:19 UTC 2016

Your mention of the shape note tradition reminded me that I had meant to report that Susan Hagen and I attended the annual New Year's Harmonia Sacra Sing in Harrisonburg last Friday night. It's held at the Weaver Mennonite Church on New Year's Night and is the oldest continuous sing in the country.  Susan attends pretty much every year, and I think this was my fourth time. Cady went with us several years ago.

On January 6, 2016, at 10:18 PM, "P. Dan Brittain" <pdan.brittain at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Christopher Hart <cervus51 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brightest and Best (sung to the tune Morning Star) is my very favorite
> Epiphany hymn.
>
> I'm a bit partial to it sung to the tune "Star in the East" from the shape
note tradition.

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted