[Magdalen] Brightest and Best - The Epiphany, January 6, 2016.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 7 04:45:00 UTC 2016

David,,

January 7  is Julian Calendar Christmas. Some of the Byzantine Catholics may still be on the Julian Calendar.
Back in Chicago, the Ukrainian Orthodox had Christmas services on both Western Christmas (December 25) and Russian Christmas January 7. My friends Fr Boris and Matushka Zabrosky were personally Old Calendar. They put up their tree on December 25; celebrated the Holy Supper on January 6 in the evening with a "fasting" meal (no butter or oil) but with a fantastic Alaskan Salmon (full caught in Alaskan waters) and then the next day had the pierohi with butter (which tasted much better) Pierogi and pirohi are la meme chose but usually tastier from Ukrainian kitchens. So your neighbors may be observing the Old Calendar or celebrating both dates to accommodate everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if some of your friends came from a parish that continued to celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January but otherwise followed the Gregorian Calendar. I have always been eclectic so ladies from this parish made my ryassa even tho I wasn't Orthodox. Some of them were uncomfortable about it, but they liked me, so got over it quickly..

At Christ the Redeemer, when it was founded, we had Bielrusian Catholics and Bielarusian Orthodox; many of the Orthodox left when they founded their own parish; but we were always friendly and shared in our exhibits at Navy Pier and the Ethnic Christmas Tree program at the Museum of Science and Industry. It's amazing how much I learned by just being around. I played the piano for some of their soloists, and learned a bit about Bielrusian musical history. Their major opera composer Kulikovich was the choir director at Christ the Redeemer, his widow survived ( a typical composer's widow, tho not at all as uncooperative as Alma Mahler or Alban Berg's widow)

Joe