[Magdalen] Brightest and Best - The Epiphany, January 6, 2016.

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 12:03:31 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 10:57 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford <
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have come into contact with what I think is a very nice setting of this
> hymn text in the shape note tradition.
>
> I was reading a memoir of holiday celebrations in earlier times in the
> Mountains, and one image that stuck with me was the remark that the young
> folks of the family would go to their grandma's house and sing "Brightest
> and Best" outside her bedroom window on Christmas morning. From the
> context, I knew that the hymn must be beloved, and it was a good bet it was
> not our hymnal 1940 version.
>
> And when I looked, sure enough:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ5aAinuE_M
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUZi3688mG8
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_29KjzCuh7U
>
> The first and third cuts are the tune I was talking about. I did notice
that they weren't singing it with the raised 6th. Usually sung a touch
faster too.

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted