[Magdalen] Brightest and Best - The Epiphany, January 6, 2016.

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 12:54:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Christopher Hart <cervus51 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice, James. Thanks for sharing. I honestly don't think I've ever heard
> Brightest and Best sung to this tune before. I've always heard the
> Victorian tune, Morning Star. I take it this is the "other" tune in our
> 1982 Hymnal?
>
> Yes - and the editors appear not to have known of the tradition of raising
the 6th - not necessarily universally practiced.

http://tinyurl.com/jmxqu5v    is of a shape note group singing it. Groups
outside the traditional deep south usually don't sing it dorian.

P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted