[Magdalen] Brightest and Best - The Epiphany, January 6, 2016.

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:23:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 9:01 AM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lusty singing, for sure, but I've never experienced knee-banging!
> Susan? Dan?

Knee banging - not really. Steady foot patting - yes. And I have seen a
couple of the northern singers who like to emphasize an accent with a foot
stomp - but that is not really a part of the tradition.

> > On Jan 8, 2016, at 1:48 AM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford <
> oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Shape note does lend itself to lusty singing and banging on the knee or
> > something...
> >
> > It's really something.

It has started spreading all over. There are strong groups in England,
Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Poland, Sweden, Australia, and smaller groups
in Hungary, Czech Republic, France and Israel. I don't think it could have
started spreading like this if it wasn't fun to do and be part of. (Just
remembered - smaller groups have also started in Hong Kong and in Japan -
though the later is largely Christian Harmony, another of the older oblong
books).

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted