[Magdalen] Epiphany

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 20:21:32 UTC 2016

Mike M >We are in the midst of a transition in my parish.  I kid our search
committee that if our eventual "call" works out wonderfully, we will all
say it is the work of the Holy Spirit.  But if it turns out to be a
disaster, the search committee will get the blame.  I am not just kidding,
though,  We need more explicit recognition that the hiring process, like
most human things, is an uncertain business.

Well said Mike!!  I remember pondering the prayer the head of our search
committee prayed before every one of our meetings - it included this phrase
or similar as a conclusion to her extemporaneous prayer: "thank you God for
already choosing our next rector".

YIKES!!  I only tangled once with that theology on some of the same grounds
as 'what if'... and what if did come to pass with my fellow call committee -
it did not go well. This individual and their family are still members, but
of the original 12 members of this committee there remain only three people
still at that church. All of us left within the first 4 years. The diocesan
powers that be who instructed our search asked all of us ahead of time to
commit to staying at least 2 years to support the call and we agreed. Three
left within 6 months... I left just shy of the two year anniversary.

I completely agree that it is difficult to figure out how to work things out
when it 'goes south', especially if it's fairly quickly.  From what I've
seen in many other dioceses, the bishop is often very hands off, which has
always made me uncomfortable.  OTOH, how do you 'call' someone from another
place, pay to move them, in essence uprooting them even thought it is a
'good deal' to begin with all around, and then somehow build in a mechanism
to release them.... not to mention the division in the parish over such a
decision, or the intricacies of making said decision.  My parish was a large
one in a large city. I often ponder how difficult it is when someone is in a
small town or very rural area and things turn upside down with a call that
does not work out as far as the decisions they have to make about church
attendance (as some in the pub have experienced).

I do know that a large church in another good sized city in my diocese paid
off a rector's contract and asked him to leave, 6 years into a divisive
tenure.  I think they gave him a 10 year contract with that clause included.
I guess that is really the only way to go, hope for the best and plan for
the worst, with a deal that both sides might find 'safe' if they trust each
other.  This is not a model that can work in most places I'm sure, due to
the financial structure of the contract to begin with.

I still don't like that prayer however...  my own faith does not believe
that God has 'puppet strings' on anyone's life.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr