[Magdalen] Epiphany

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 9 22:59:02 UTC 2016

On 09/01/2016 21:37, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> From: "James Oppenheimer-Crawford" > I think this is essentially the
> way the Methodist Church operates.
>

> In my experience, most Methodist conferences (?) re-assign their
> pastors every 7 years. I'm not sure how much 'fit' is considered. Once
> that rhythm is created, it seems to work. There's always a definite
> horizon and a new sun rise.

That is also the case with Methodists this side of the pond. Ministers
are appointed to circuits which contain a number of churches initially
for 5 uears (it used to be 3 but it was decided this was too short.
There will have been consideration of the minister's particular skills
and of the circuit's needs. Some significant time (about 18 months)
before the appointment is due to end the circuit decides whether or not
to reinvite the minister for a further period, and if they do reinvite
then the minister decides whether to accept or not.  If there is need
for some reason then the appointment can be curtailed.

The system does have advantages over the system here in the C/E and in
TEC on two counts that I can see.  One is that the annual "shuffle"
uccurs at a fixed time of the year - during schools' Summer break.  The
other is that unless the minister has been removed from ministry for
misconduct then they are guaranteed continuity of accommodation and
stipend.  This means that they will not be deprived of accommodation and
income when a particular appointment comes to an end.

Roger