[Magdalen] Epiphany

Mahoney, W. Michael wmmah at stoneledge.net
Tue Jan 12 01:05:29 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:

> We'll be celebrating the installation of a p-in-c as rector of a church in
> Richmond tomorrow afternoon. This is a church with a history of being
> clergy-averse, so the calling of a p-in-c was an excellent option. It has
> worked out incredibly well after 2-3 years (I forget exactly how long).

If I were the "decider", a p-in-c would be installed at the outset.  He or
she would have all the canonical authorities of a rector except tenure.
There should no sense that it is a "trial marriage".  Quite the opposite -
- the presumption should be that priest and parish have entered into a
long-term relationship.  If, as expected, it is a happy affair, the
incumbent will over time naturally accrue "moral authority" as well as
canonical.  The attainment of tenure would mark that accomplishment.

Mike M.