[Magdalen] TEC suspended from Anglican Communion

Christopher Hart cervus51 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 04:11:16 UTC 2016

On Thursday, January 14, 2016, Marion Thompson <marionwhitevale at gmail.com>
wrote:

> WOW WOW WOW!!!  I'm late to this story.  They've suspended the wrong
> people, but are we surprised?  Not a bit of it.   I hope we will stand
> shoulder to shoulder with TEC.  I see no use in the Communion at all.  The
> days when we got all misty about the whole world using the same BCP all
> over the world on Sundays are long gone!

I'm rather inclined to agree with Marion here. In a world of bilateral
partnerships between parishes, constantly revised worship resources, and
instant communication what actual point is there to the structure (such as
it is) of the Anglican Communion? If I'm traveling in Canada or England on
a Sunday I'm going to find an Anglican Church in which to worship as I have
done heretofore and I feel certain that I will be welcomed. Those are
sister churches with whom we are in communion. If the African so-called
Anglican churches don't want to be in communion that's their issue, not
mine. I'd bet though that in the unlikely event I found myself in one of
their churches on a Sunday they would welcome me as a brother in Christ and
give me communion without asking whether I'd voted for same sex marriage
(which I did). At the level of individual interactions and relationships
there's really nothing amiss in the Anglican Communion.

--

Christopher Hart