[Magdalen] TEC suspended from Anglican Communion

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 07:29:11 UTC 2016

Yes, isn't it just.

Perhaps one good outcome of the very protracted liberation struggle in
South Africa (that saw the ANC labeled "Africa's least successful
liberation movement"), is that we had time to work out some of these
things, and time for women to step forward - including it must be said,
Muslim women who played an important role and still do.

Islam is a good fit for African people and has spread widely in all parts
of the Continent, including here though in our case it came from either
Indonesia or India. In particular, the collectivism of the "ummah" appeals
to African sensibilities as well as the tolerance of polygamy, which was an
issue right off the bat with Christian missions.

I just think it's important to be aware of the astonishing growth of
Pentecostal churches throughout Africa and particularly Nigeria. Virulently
homophobic, centered around (male) personalities, convinced of male rights
to authority, and far more creatively capitalistic than Islam will ever be.

The appeal of these churches is in the "magical" thinking, healing and
deliverance rituals which is much closer to traditional African religions
than Islam with its rigorous Koranic studies and law-obsession.

The TEC story is on Sky - and predictably it looks as though the story will
be what the newsmakers want it to be, i.e. Controversial and
sensationalist, and this will be what most people believe.

Sally D