[Magdalen] Retired clergy (was Re: Epiphany)

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 07:38:56 UTC 2016

We love our former Rector so much and on the few occasions when he's showed
up the greeting is joyous. There was, and probably still is, some "pining"
but it's been well managed I think - some people left, but others joined
with the new rector; who was himself raised in our Church so has strong
relationships with the former priest as well as lay leadership.

Some frustration was directed at the Bishop when Fr Rob was moved to a
school chaplaincy, but he had not been in good health and I think by now
people have understood that he's in the right place and have given the move
their blessing and support.

Our current incumbent therefore has no problems and is not in the least
threatened. Doesn't it come down to relationships, being honest and being
aware of the potential negatives and positives? Our former Assistant Priest
is still part of the parish and still carrying out some duties
post-retirement, and that's not a problem either.

I can see how, in some situations, it is not desirable for the former
rector to be around, but can't see why it has to be a rule for every
situation or why there can't be better, kinder ways to solve the problem.

Sally D