[Magdalen] Curse on Masons

F von Prondzynski F.von-Prondzynski at rgu.ac.uk
Sat Jan 16 10:19:03 UTC 2016

Dear all

I'm coming to this thread a little late, but just wanted to add a short
observation. Whatever about a pope's curse, in the UK and much of Europe
the Masons are seen with some suspicion, as they have regularly been
associated with corruption and improper conduct. So for example it became
a matter of some notoriety in Britain that senior police officers who were
Masons (and that appears to have been a significant percentage) often
allowed brother Masons to escape investigation and conviction where they
were suspected of crimes. So Masonry became associated with rich members
of the establishment helping each other and evading justice - and
sometimes enriching each other. This may not be the history of Masonry in
the US, but it is thought to be here.

Many senior clergy in the C of E have been known to be Masons, and from
time to time the question is raised whether this is compatible with their
status as priests.

In the end I cannot get very enthusiastic about secret societies that
admit only men.

Ferdinand