[Magdalen] British actors (was Clerical Beards)

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 23 21:30:46 UTC 2016

On 23/01/2016 13:37, ME Michaud wrote:
> It may have to do with television. When I was in Norway, I was surprised to
> hear English spoken with a British accent, only to realize later they all
> watched the BBC.

I was in a local pub here in England a month or so back and was served
by someone I assumed was English until she mentioned she comes from
Norway.  She has been over here a couple of years and said she picks up
accents well.  The surprising thing for me was that she had spent that
time in Cornwall but there was no trace of West Country in her accent.
Perhaps that was at university so most of the people she was with were
from other parts of the country, probably many from London and the
South-East.

My Scandinavian experience was very different when I went to the local
Tourist Information and the accent there was definitely American.

Roger