[Magdalen] British actors (was Clerical Beards)

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 11:13:53 UTC 2016

Yes - odd isn't it. Bald shiny head with this rich full beard. I wondered
if he shaves his head though why, I have no clue. Perhaps it makes the
cricket hat stick on better.

Here's a picture of him from the match at The Oval in 2012, the moment when
he scored South Africa's first triple century against England, after which
I fell for his serene majesty with the bat, and for the impossible game of
cricket:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/9419296/England-v-South-Africa-Hashim-Amlas-triple-century-proves-another-crushing-blow-for-Graeme-Swann.html

How ridiculous was former cricket chief Clive Rice, talking about "reverse
apartheid" with reference to Amla, and other players of colour. The present
test match against England in Pretoria/Tshwane being a case in point...Amla
is back on form with more than a century, and this morning we've watched
Kagiso Rabada, aged just 20, take wicket after wicket.

We are now completely dependent on these guys who would once have been
excluded.

Amla BTW comes from Durban, his family originally from Gujarat, India. He
is the first South African of Indian origin to play test cricket, which is
also ridiculous when you think of the natural talent and passion for the
game in the Indian subcontinent.

Sally D