[Magdalen] Leaving...

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 20:52:37 UTC 2016

Not me, but our rector. He announced at the annual meeting this a.m.
that he has entered the search process, and following his sabbatical
this summer, he will not be returning to St. James, Baton Rouge. He and
I have disagreed -- as parishioner and employee -- on several things,
but I have admired his forward thinking, empowerment to laity, and
stances on social justice and marriage equality. It is these last two
which, IMO, have pushed him out the door. Too many old guard, angry
white men (and women) in the South, yet.

What's scarier to me is the slate of vestry in place, and several of
those elected this morning (we have 18 on our vestry; down from 24 just
10 years ago!), in the formation of a search committee. These truly are
old timers in Baton Rouge; most attend *nothing* but Sunday a.m.
services, but their names are known so they are elected.

Prayers for our parish in these changing times, and for my personal
discernment as an old white lady likely to be readjusting her work
situation yet again, are dearly requested.

Peace,
Jo