[Magdalen] Time Marches On.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jan 29 03:48:03 UTC 2016

I periodically comb through web sites of various institutions I have
known to see what has happened through the years.

The site I was just exploring was that of my hometown public school  system
(Grantsurg, Wisconsin, pop. 1,341 in 2010).

The school system continues to have a K-5, 6-8, and 9-12 series of
traditional brick schools, but in addition an overriding school called
iForward
which is electronic and tailored to the individual student. This whole
system is very intriguing and sophisticated, and somehow I didn't
expect it in my home town, literally at the edge of the North Woods
(There's nothing but woods, really, between my hometown and Lake  Superior,
a distance of 80 miles.  I should give them more credit.

OTOH, this sort of arrangement is probably common elsewhere.

Then, I checked the UW-Madison Lakeshore Dormitories, and marveled
at what's happened to the old food service with large dining halls  and
a set menu with little choice.  Now it's like a gourmet food court  where
students can choose among many vendors.  They still pay a fixed
room and board fee, but are not herded into a mass dining situation.

It's all progress, I guess, and I'm a little pleased I don't have to
participate
in these innovations while admitting is great for the young.

David Strang.  (Grantsburg Public High School Class of 1955).