[Magdalen] Ab Fab the movie

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 03:29:47 UTC 2016

It was described to me as "crazy and hilarious," and that's all I had
to go on until I saw the show on BBC America and got caught up by it.

My attempt:

Edina "Eddy" Monsoon, a London child of the '60s who thinks she is
stylish and trend-setting (but doesn't quite achieve this thanks to
her many hangups) runs her own PR firm and tries to live a fabulous,
stylish life with her actually stylish but boozy best friend, fashion
editor Patsy Stone, who hasn't eaten since 1973 ("Liquid lunch for me,
Mrs. M"). In Eddy's house, she's the chaotic, undisciplined one, while
her teenage daughter Saffron (Saffy) is the real adult of the
household; her mother (Gran; Mrs M) drops by at the worst times to
prod Eddy's neuroses and act ditzy while clearly perceiving everything
that's going on; and Eddy's utterly daft personal assistant Bubble
manages to make doing nothing an art form whilst posing philosophical
questions of the insane kind. There are moments of tension any time it
starts "raining ex-husbands" or Eddy gets inspired to try again
contacting her long-lost son Serge ("He's taking lava readings...Yes,
I faxed the volcano"). The repartee and procession of cameo
appearances keep things hilarious and, yes, Absolutely Fabulous,
sweetie darling.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA