[Magdalen] Mary Cosby, RIP

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 22:47:40 UTC 2016

This afternoon Mary Cosby, who with her late husband Gordon founded the ecumenical Church of the Saviour in DC IN 1947, died. She was 93. Today would have been Gordon's 99th birthday. Apparently one of her friends said earlier this week that Gordon would be there to welcome her, and she replied, "He'd better be!" Gordon died three years ago.

Mary had many wonderful gifts, and I was blessed by her presence in my life for thirty years, but the one thing that stands out for me was her absolute delight in everyone she met. When you had been with Mary, you came away feeling as if you were the most wonderful person in the world.

This past Wednesday, after not seeing Mary since shortly after Gordon died, I visited her in her room at Christ House. We had a wonderful time talking about people who were apart of the history of the C of S, and giving thanks for our friendship of 30 years.  When I received word this afternoon that she had died, I gave thanks for the gift of that wonderful last visit on Wednesday.