[Magdalen] AC of C General Synod

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 23:31:39 UTC 2016

Thursday I'm off bright and early to General Synod running Thursday July
7 to July 12 as a delegate of the Diocese of Toronto.  We will need all
the prayers we can get as we wrestle in particular with the Marriage
Canon.  Will we see it changed to allow Same-Sex marriage or not and, if
so, in what form?  If not, what then?  The two-thirds majority required
in each of the three Houses will be a nail-biter, especially as the
House of Bishops some months ago issued a statement saying that they
were unlikely to pass it.  Also, the Indigenous people would rather opt
in if they so choose rather than be expected to accept the colonisers'
Canon or opt out.  It's going to be a very interesting time, whatever
the outcome.

If it should pass, it still must pass a final vote in three years at the
next General Synod.  A glacial pace, to be sure, but the next few days
are really really important to our future.

Please pray for us all up here in the Frozen North.

Marion, a pilgrim   ... today my sail I lift ....