[Magdalen] pondering politics

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sat Jul 9 15:00:32 UTC 2016

On 7/9/16 9:42 AM, Sibyl Smirl wrote:
> On 7/9/16 9:30 AM, James Handsfield wrote:
>> Every “Tea Party” person I’ve met is an extreme right wing Republican.
>>
>> I’d certainly believe you have been asked to donate to the Clinton
>> campaign and Planned Parenthood.  I can understand why you would not
>> want to contribute to the Clinton campaign, but I don’t understand
>> your reluctance to support Planned Parenthood unless you thing that
>> the only thing they do is provide abortions.
>
> They provide (and push) abortions.  That's enough.  There's no way to
> financially support _everything_ that they do, all of which you can get
> from other kinds of clinics or from your MD, without supporting abortion.

What really bugs me is the euphemism "Reproductive Rights" to include
abortion.  Yes, I believe that we have the right to reproduce and raise
children, or _not_, as we please, but I do _not_ believe that that
includes the right to kill another existing human being (that we were
instrumental in bringing into existence), even if that means that that
person _needs_ the use of her mother's body for a few months to be able
to live.

Unlike the RCC, I do believe in contraception.  It would be nice if the
means were free.  I do not believe in trying to control other people's
sex lives (if only consenting adults are involved).  But once a child
comes into existence, that isn't you, nor is it a part of your body: it
has a whole other set of human chromosomes, and if it's a child of rape,
it's not responsible for the sin of its father, not with the death
penalty.  Mother can bear a little inconvenience for a few months, for
the sake of _not_ killing a unique human being, who will never come again.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net