[Magdalen] pondering politics

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 23:29:31 UTC 2016

In Quebec (and in Europe) convents had "foundling wheels," rotating boxes
built into the exterior walls, into which mothers (and other family
members, I suppose) placed infants.

Once placed in the box, it was turned so the infant ended up inside. There
was a bell nearby to alert the sisters.

A practice begun a thousand years ago at least.

Here any hospital ER and any fire station can be used to safely abandon an
infant. Every time I drive to the garage I pass a sign (on Cambridge St.)
indicating the left turn to take to leave an infant in a safe place.
-M