[Magdalen] "Poor Little Old Rhode Island."

Lesley de Voil lesleymdv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 07:00:42 UTC 2016

Hmm. We have few of those left, certainly in my area. The valley, an
alluvial plain fed from the basalt mountains to the west and south,
was originally lots of small farms, more vegetables than fruit. I
guess, with an area about 100km (~60 miles) sort of round (think
volcano remnants) would have supported hundreds of small farmers. I
believe there are now only six companies that own practically the lot.
Of course, some of the farms are still managed by a family, and a lot
of the manual work is done by itinerant labour (think backpackers and
457's-Asian workers on special visas, not always as legal as they
should be.) But produce gets moved by the semitrailer load. There is a
thriving trade with Asia with produce being shifted there by the
planeload.
BTW, we usually make a distinction between a truck (non-articulated )
and a semi-trailer (articulated, one or two trailers, sometimes with
prime mover that does not have its own cargo box. )
Regards
Lesley de Voil