[Magdalen] Happy Saint Benedict's Day

Susan Hagen susanvhagen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:55:22 UTC 2016

Happy Saint Benedict's Day everyone. I am minded that we are not the
only ones who live in troublous times.  Benedict was born at the end
of the 5th century, at the time of the fall of the Roman Empire, a
time of great upheaval. He withdrew to the mountains outside Rome to
live as a hermit. A group of men asked him to lead them. His first
attempt as a community leader was rocky and someone tried to kill him.
He formed another community and his guide is called the Rule of Saint
Benedict, considered one of the foundations of western monasticism. I
call it the handbook for living in community without killing each
other.

"(The monastic should) prefer nothing whatever to Christ.
And may He bring us all together to life everlasting! "

Susan, Obl. OSB

--
The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among
you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the